Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kings of War 3rd Ed Battle Report part 2

[continued from part 1]

TURN 1
    Winning the roll off, Pete began his advance with an opening Charge of the Revenant Cavalry into the Ironclads sat right in front of them. The Ghoul Regiment At The Double-d into the Swamp, facing down the Organ Gun, supported by the Werewolves who looked to outflank the War Engines.
    The Ghoul Troop made a similar At The Double towards the Living Forest, ready to outflank anything that threatened the Soul Reavers who had advanced towards the Coaching House walls. Now was also the time for the Wights to burst forth, heralding with an unearthly scream the arrival of the Revenant King, Voitolius himself!
    Immediately, both Balefire Catapults sent forth their payloads of spectral skulls hurtling towards the Dwarf lines. Most were mere range testing shots that failed to hurt their targets, but one lucky shot slammed home into the Ironclad Dwarves, causing 8 wound markers!

Voitolius the Revenant King arrives!!

The Revenant Cavalry rode into their Ironclad prey with a swirl of fury, yet despite causing 5 wounds, the doughty Dwarves held firm, redressed their ranks, and readied themselves to start fighting back!
    Terrain in Kings of War now gets to take on a life of its own, and if so designated, at the end of every melee phase can attack any unit either physically in, or in base contact with it. Both the Ghouls and Revenants were in contact with a Swamp, and so both units suffered six Me 3+ attacks- which resulted in both units sustaining 2 wounds each.
    Unsurprisingly, the Ironclads counter-charged the Revenant Cavalry, with support from a Driller who careered into their flank. The other Driller also took the opportunity to charge into the flank of the Soul Reavers.

Whilst the majority of the Dwarf army took a moment to react to the Undead aggressiveness and redress their lines, the Shieldbreakers noticed the Ghouls in the Foggy marshes of the Swamp, and took a chance by charging them, knowing they could lose some of their own number to the phantoms that inhabited the murky depths.
    The Cannon suddenly rent the air as they replied to the catapult bombardment, putting 8 wounds on the Undead war engine. The Organ Gun and Flamebelcher chose a more immediate target, and whilst the Organ Gun failed to hurt the Werewolves, the Flamebelcher managed to score a wound.
    David rolled for the random attacks of the Driller attacking the Soul Reavers, gaining him 6 Attacks. However, not a single one managed to do any damage. It was a similar story for the other Driller, who failed to do anything with the 7 attacks he had.
    The Ironclads fared a little better, managing to score 3 wounds on the Revenant Cavalry, but they held firm.
    The Shieldbreakers however had managed to catch the Swamp Ghouls in their flank, causing a hefty 10 Wounds on the hapless flesh eaters, completely Routing them. However, as their corpses sank into the Swamp, they managed to drag 3 Shieldbreakers with them. The Werewolves also lost another wound to the Swamp.

TURN 2

Slightly battered, the Werewolves were now in perfect position to launch a charge into the Organ Gun, which they did with relish! The Wraiths nearest to them also charged, this time into the Ironclads that had sustained damage from the previous Turnís catapulting. The Ghoul Troop continued its flanking manoeuvre around the Living Forest, whilst the second Wraith Troop charged into the flank of the Rangers they were circling. The nearby Driller was also charged to the fore by the Soul Reavers. The Revenant Cavalry swept back into the Ironclads they were fighting, driven by necromantic sorceries and centuries old hatred to finish off their living foes.
    The Liche Queen healed 3 points of damage on the battered Balefire Catapult, as the war engine and its partner opened up on Garrek, causing 5 points of damage. The opposite battery of Balefires targeted the Shieldbreakers, but failed to damage them again.
    The Soul Reavers hit hard, causing three wounds on the Driller, catching him as he fled and draining the life from his veins while searching for their next victims. The Wraiths managed to cause two wounds on the Ironclads, but these Headstrong Dwarves shrugged off their Wavering result and held firm.
    The Werewolves caused 6 wounds on the Organ Gun, Routing the mighty war engine, and readied themselves to tear down the Dwarf gunline.
    Also causing 6 wounds, the Revenant Cavalry Routed their Ironclad opponents but despite causing 4 wounds on the Rangers, the Wraiths were unable to finish them off.
    The Swamp caused dragged another Shieldbreaker to his doom whilst the incorporeal Wratihs survived their encounter with the Living Forest intact.

At the start of the second Dwarf turn, Garrek Regenerated one of his wounds as he ordered the Ironclads and Shieldbreakers to charge the Wraiths. In a fit of either bravado or madness, the lone Driller charged the flank of the Revenants, standing a potentially great chance to Rout the Undead knights, but alas for David, preventing them from being shot by the three Troops of Ironwatch Rifles that were right in front of them! At this point, Pete proceeded to jig around the table!
    The Rangers took their chance to launch an offensive of their own, charging the Soul Reavers, allowing the Army Standard to move behind and provide some much needed Inspiring to a Dwarf line that was beginning to falter. The other Standard made a similar move to support the remaining Ironclads.
    What artillery wasnít prevented from firing then opened up, the Flamebelcher dousing the Werewolves in a sheet of flame, causing a further two wounds, whilst the Cannon sat behind them fired on the Balefire catapult they left alone in the previous turn, but clearly misjudged their ranges and failed to hurt them. Maybe the proximity of the Werewolves had put them off their aim?
    The lone Driller caused 1 wound on the Cavalry, which failed to Rout the Undead elite, whilst the Ironclads attacking the Wraiths failed to do anything at all! The Rangers wounded the Soul Reavers, but couldnít get rid of them and the Shieldbreakers fared little better, causing three wounds on their Wraiths, but still failing to Rout the ghostly assailants.
    The Swamp, however, continued to chip away at the Shieldbreakers, causing another wound.

[continued...]
    Asgard Studio- miniature modelling and painting for tabletop wargames and RPG's

oh, did I mention? Mantic rocks!

Turn 3

The Soul Reavers hammered back into the Rangers, whilst the Wraiths attacked the Standard Bearer. The closest of the Ironwatch Troops felt the full wrath of the Revenant Cavalry who were happily Routing everything in their path. Having watched from behind their Undead lines, now was the time for the Commanders to act, and the Liche Queen flew into combat with Garrek, hoping to be the one to finish off the Dwarf on behalf of her liege. She was not, however, as foolish as she may have seemed, for she also ordered a nearby Troop of Wraiths to charge him as well. The Skeletons also sprang into action this turn, charging into the side of the nearby Ironclads, and rather unsurprisingly, the Werewolves, still afire, charged into the source of their pain- the Flamebelcher!
    Once again, the Catapults were loaded, this time targeting the Shieldbreakers in the centre causing a total of 9 wounds between all four of them, Routing the heavy hammer wielding Dwarves. The Werewolves caused a whopping 10 wounds on the Flamebelcher, which promptly exploded in a ball of flame, roasting the crew for the Wolves to feed on.
    In a massive surprise, the Skeletons managed to cause two wounds on the Ironclads. The surprise came when David checked the Nerve test against the dice rolled by Pete, and found they too, were Routed!
    The story was the a very similar one between the Soul Reavers and the Rangers. Seven wounds caused, and a Routed result rolled. Going one better, the Revenant Cavalry caused eight wounds on their opponents, Routing the first of three Ironwatch Troops- and they still had yet to fire a single shot! Small consolation for David was the Army Standard and Garrek both survived their encounters without accruing a single wound marker.
    At the end of the Undead turn, it transpired that the Werewolves were straddling two sections of the Swamp, and it was decided that they take hits from both sections. Effectively, they were trying to traverse the Swamp by means of a strip of solid ground that ran through the centre. From this situation, the Wolves sustained another wound. This was a great example of discussing a point with your opponent and coming to a decision that was mutually agreeable, and fitting to the story of the game!

With most of his Regiments now littering the battlefield with their corpses, David took stock of the situation, only moving his Army Standard closer to Garrek.
    The Warsmith sized up the Werewoloves with his Boomstick, but failed to cause them any trouble. The three Cannon however, had decidedly better luck. Whilst two targeted Voitolius himself causing two wounds on the Revenant King, the third turned and fired Grapeshot right at the Werewolves, causing four wounds. This proved far too much for the Wolves, and amidst shrapnel and flame, they Routed finally- much to David’s relief!
    The remaining Ironwatch Troops found their courage bolstered by the demise of the Werewolves, targeting the Wraiths in front of them, causing eight wounds between them, and David sighed another relieved sigh, as they Routed as well.
    In Melee with the other Wraith Troop, the Driller caused one wound from seven attacks, and the Wraiths remained stoic and silent, as they advanced upon him.
    However the last laugh of the turn was to be Pete’s, as he Regenerated both the wounds on Voitolius!

TURN 4

The battlefield was very firmly in Undead hands, but the game was still up for grabs, as Garrek still lived!
    Pete Charged the Revenant Cavalry into the second of the three Ironwatch Troops, the Skeletons into Garrek’s lieutenant, the second King, and the Soul Reavers into the remaining Driller.
    Revenant Cavalry charge the Ironwatch...
    In a repeat of earlier in the game, the Balefire Catapults, who were really proving their worth, bombarded Garrek again, causing four wounds. Crucially, the Liche Queen Zapped! Garrek too, only causing one wound, which he survived, but thus ending his Regenerative magics! He was no longer untouchable, but still within reach of the Barrow entrance!
    Elsewhere, the Revenant Cavalry, riding through the flank of the Ironwatch, caused a staggering 21- that’s TWENTY ONE!- wounds on the hapless Dwarf Riflemen, unsurprisingly Routing them. The Soul Reavers caused 5 wounds on the Driller, but his Headstrong kept him from Wavering. The Wraiths failed to shake the Army Standard Bearer.

The start of David’s turn 4 saw some very un-Dwarf-like tactics, as in a very smart move, the Warsmith with the Boomstick charged the Liche Queen, allowing Garrek to make a dash for the Barrow.
    ... while Garrek makes a bid for the Barrow!

All three Cannon Grapeshotted the as yet unengaged Revenant Cavalry, looking to send them back to their foul graves. Having caused just five wounds, David was granted the Rout result he needed to stop the Undead knights making a mockery of his entire Dwarf army!
    The Dwarf Lieutenant caused two wounds on the Skeletons, who stayed put, as did the Soul Reavers and Liche Queen, who suffered 3 wounds and 1 wound in their respective combats.

Comment

TURN 5

With Garrek doing a Dwarf Quick Shoe Shuffle towards the Barrow, it was now or never time for Pete to stop a repeat of the practice game by having Garrek who is Individual- and therefore has the benefit of Nimble- escaping him and coming within 4” of his objective! Both Regiments of Revenants had thus far stood silent sentinel to the entire battle, but with a wave of Voitolius’ hand, the lumbered forward. Both units charged Garrek, joined in Melee by the Liche Queen- in Kings of War, you no longer have to charge the unit that previously charged you, so the Warsmith was left high and dry, as the Undead Queen sought out her prey!
      There was still a glimmer of hope for David and Garrek, as the Warmsith with the healing Charm was still alive and untouched. If he could Heal Garrek, David knew in turn 6, Garrek could make it to the Barrow. Unfortunately for David, both Balefire batteries hammered the Warsmith into the ground, causing five wounds in total, and Routing him in one turn!
      The Skeletons managed to score four wounds on the Lieutenant, who held firm, watching helplessly as the lone Driller and the Army Battle Standard were ripped apart by the Soul Reavers and Wraiths.

The Last Stand of Garrek Heavyhand!But all eyes were on the one final mass melee. Garrek fought bravely and heroically, but two Regiments and a Liche Queen proved too much, as he succumbed to five wounds caused by the Revenants. Without his Regeneration, he was overwhelmed, the sound of the chilling laughter of Voitolius echoing on the wind.

Comment

Dwarves Lament!!

Well, that didn't go to plan! The artillery were impressive; holding their side almost unaided; but not really helping at long range.
        The 'big push' was stalled early on in the game, and Pete decided to put everything ranged on Garrek straight away - Damn those Balefires to the Abyss! The King also lost his Regeneration, which practically spelled the end for him. A last ditch attempt to reach the Barrow was bogged down by Skeletons and Revenants, and he eventually fell to sheer weight of numbers.

What could I have done differently? Well not charging the driller into the flank of the Revenant Knights would have been a start. If the Ironwatch had dealt with them, then they may have been able to support the King's run. I also should have made more use of the Rangers, as they really weren't put to good effect in the game. A Horde of Ironclad might have been a good troop selection, even if it would have been a large bulls-eye moving across the field. Oh, and what I would have given for some Brock Riders. I'm looking at you, Mr. Renton!

Best unit of the game would probably have to be between the Cannons and the Shieldbreakers. The Cannons took out the Werewolves and the Revenant Knights, however the Shieldbreakers were very proactive, and even survived the swamp of death for a turn to oust a unit of Ghouls. Good going, chaps!

Comment

MORE FALLEN WARRIORS FOR MY LEGIONS!

WOW!! What a game!! A true nail biter in every sense of the word! David and I actually played a practice game before this, to make sure the scenario worked ok, and everything was going pretty much the same for the Undead, until Garrek used his Individual rule to swing out and around my trapping units, halting within 4” of the Barrow!
          I’ve been playing Kings of War since the 2010 Rules were brought out, and have to say that the finished version of the rules really play like a tabletop fantasy should. It had everything- terrain that hurts you, magic weapons that can tip the balance in your favour- but I’m very thankful to Ronnie and Alessio for two things.
          One, this game is still focussed on the actions of the units rather than characters and spells. Artefacts, terrain, they all add to the experience, but don’t overbalance the gameplay drastically- rather they enhance the action to a degree that’s extremely fun, without being over the top.
          Two, I’m thankful that the rules have been continually developed by everyone in the community over the last two to three years. It’s really made this feel like a group effort, a game we can all take a little bit of ownership of, and feel proud of when we play!
          As to the game itself, well, things couldn’t have gone better! Should I have got Voitolius involved earlier on in the game, especially as he turned up at the very beginning? Maybe. But in all honesty, keeping the characters back meant that I could unleash them if and when needed in the latter stages of the game.

I’m almost stuck for a unit of the game on my side. It could go to either the Revenant Cavalry or the Werewolves, for very obvious reasons- but I think it has to be the Balefire Catapults. Having been silent for so long due to their needing a 6+ to hit, the simple act of making them 5+ (Blast 2D6 and Piercing (3) helps too) has made the a very effective, integral part of the Undead army again.

Several units on David’s army were damaging to me, but I think the stand out unit for me was Garrek himself. Not just in this game but in the practice game as well he proved he can take on almost a whole army himself and still win the game which in my book makes the Dwarf King one of, if not THE, most dangerously versatile character in the game.

I’d like to thank David, my erstwhile opponent in this endeavour, Chris Palmer for allowing it to go ahead, Martin Anderson for providing a venue and Kasper Froberg, Christine Rigby and Adi (Lord Arcane on the forum) for the Barrow, battlefield and the notes and photographs that made this Report possible!

Comment

https://www.facebook.com/#!/media/se...5545550&type=3

This link will take you to a wealth of photographic awesomeness, displaying all the action from the game!!

Comment

Hmm nice report there I ahve often fancyed refighting that battle myself. Not on FB (damn it to the abyss) but the piccys here are nice

Hmm not too keen on the addition of terrain that hurts, I want to play against my mates not the table. I think I'll be leaving those rules alone.

Cant wait to see the magic items list in full.

Thanks for the bat rep.

ttfn
              "The objective of the game is to win. The point of the game is to have fun. The two should never be confused."

"If we were not supposed to eat animals, why are they made from meat?"

"Mantic: like GW, minus the GW-ness".

Comment

Well, that's the good thing- no one says you have to use those rules, but we thought we'd give them a try, and they are very nicely muted in a way so that they don't decide the fate of a unit, but often contribute a little. Just another dimension to toy with

Comment

The interactive terrain is in the advanced rules and only intended to be added if you want to.
                  Rise of the Shadow King
                  Winter's Knight
                  TBC...

Comment

Which is why I wont be, I think that was one of the worst changes made by the EE to their game. How stupid is it that the very land itself is attacking its populace, some flora and forna I could live with (big carnivrous plants), but virtually EVERY thing...no thanks.

Perhaps if it was a short lived spell effect, I imagine my fantasy worlds alive with inhabitants, not alive with animate IN-animate objects

ttfn
                    "The objective of the game is to win. The point of the game is to have fun. The two should never be confused."

"If we were not supposed to eat animals, why are they made from meat?"

"Mantic: like GW, minus the GW-ness".

Comment

I completely get your point when it comes to things like the Living Forest, but a Marsh/Swamp, or even a Volcanic area could be deadly without needing to be enchanted

But, to reiterate what Matt and I have already said, they're entirely optional rules, and not virtually compulsory as in THAT game by The Other Company TM.

Comment

Awesome battle report; cheers guys. Cracking set of photos too.

re. the whole 'living terrain' thing; nice to have it included as an option. I can well imagine its usefulness in scenarios where folk want it, but an eminently sensible move to include it in the advanced rules section so that those who want to can leave it at home.

Looking forward to the hardback book more than ever now!

Comment

Nice work Pete. Was so glad I got chance to be apart of this. Looks like I used the right camera for he job.

Comment

Great report guys! Good photos! Good idea about optional living terrain!

Comment

Fantastic report. I really enjoyed reading it and it has increased my anticipation of laying my hands on the book. Only down side is that I want to play a game right now, and I can't because I have influenza. Guess I'll have to read a few more reports online to get a fix instead
                              Stop showing me Warpath stuff - I'm easily distracted - It said so in my school report when I was seven.

Comment

Working...
                              X